- What is a crane truck?
- What are Crane Trucks used for?
- How are Crane Truck boom arms operated?
- How to find a used Crane Truck on Truck & Trailer
- How to buy a used Crane Truck?
- How to sell a used Crane Truck?
What is a crane truck?
A Crane Truck is essentially an automotive truck that has an operational boom arm fitted directly behind its cab. These trucks can also be configured with a rear-mounted boom arm.
Operators can fit several attachments to the boom arm like hooks, grabs, and slings to provide a wide range of applications that are required in many industries. Crane Trucks do not require the use of counterweights as used by cranes and that's what makes them different.
The truck itself becomes the ballast for the boom arm, allowing it to perform its many functions by utilising stability arms or outriggers to keep it grounded. Crane Trucks come in a variety of sizes ranging from small to light, medium, and heavy.
What are Crane Trucks used for?
Because of the versatility of the boom arm, and the attachments it can accommodate, Crane Trucks are most commonly used to lift and move bundled, coiled, and other heavy loads. The size of the load that requires lifting will often determine what size Crane Truck is required for the job at hand. From commercial automotive tires to heavily loaded shipping containers, Crane Trucks are versatile and powerful.
How are Crane Truck boom arms operated?
Crane Truck boom arms are controlled by an operator from outside the truck. The boom arm has a driver's seat that allows the operator to have uninterrupted views when it's time to load or offload cargo. The operator will use the boom arm controls to steer and manoeuvre the boom arm.
How to find a used Crane Truck on Truck & Trailer
The best place to find a used Crane Truck is on Truck & Trailer. As the leading digital marketplace for commercial vehicles and heavy equipment in South Africa, our website is home to a great number of Crane Trucks for sale.
From the Truck & Trailer home page, you can use the search block to select your category. You can filter your search by application, make, and region to help refine where and what you are looking for.
Once you've selected the relevant criteria and have clicked search, you will be directed to a search results page where you'll find the Crane Trucks you've searched for.
On the search results page, you will be presented with even more filters. The filters available on this page include category, application, condition, make, price, region, year, and max mileage. These filters will be available depending on what you've searched for.
You can also search from the trucks page. The trucks page contains a block with the most popular categories listed on our site. If the Crane Truck category is not presented in this block, please select ‘all categories’ at the bottom of the block or use the search bar at the top to conduct your search.
If you see a Crane Truck you are interested in on the search results pages, click on the listing to view further details about the unit. You will also be provided with several options to contact the seller if you are interested in buying that specific Crane Truck.
Top Crane Truck brands listed on Truck & Trailer:
How to buy a used Crane Truck?
When buying this piece of equipment, there are many key factors buyers should consider:
- Establish why the Crane Truck is being sold.
- Try to get some idea of its working past.
- Understand its maintenance history and establish if it has had any previous damage or mechanical work done to it.
- Consider if any parts need immediate replacing, what they might cost, and if they are easily sourced.
Extra things to check out if you are a buyer:
- Check the engine and its components.
- Ensure the truck is running well, is mechanically sound, and has been well maintained.
- Check the chassis frame to make sure it's sturdy and securely holding the crane and trailer.
- Ensure you inspect the steering, pedals, and controls, as well as the general condition of the interior.
- Check the tyres for wear and tear.
- Inspect the boom arm, making sure its hydraulic and mechanical systems are sound.
- Inspect the outriggers to make sure they have been maintained and are functioning properly.
- And finally, check the hours of use.
It would be beneficial to have an operator on hand to demonstrate the working order of the truck and its crane to ultimately ensure you are making a sound investment.
How to sell a used Crane Truck?
When it comes to selling a used Crane Truck, the best place to do so is on Truck & Trailer.
It is advised that as much information as possible is given about the piece of equipment being sold. Any information about the following points will go a long way in helping you to sell your used Crane Truck:
- Sellers must provide all the basic listing information relating to the application, make, model, price, mileage, and year of manufacture.
- When it comes to providing a detailed description of the unit, sellers should provide information regarding the following components of the unit.
- The condition of the truck.
- The engine and its components.
- The condition of the tyres and tread.
- The integrity of the frame and chassis.
- The steering and controls.
- The boom arm condition outlining mechanical and hydraulic systems.
- The outriggers or stability arms.
- And finally, the general condition and structural integrity of the unit.